Thursday, November 28, 2013

Little Santa and the Etsy Store

Last week I was working on getting my little Santa pattern knocked into shape, with a view to FINALLY getting my Etsy Store up and running. Making my own patterns has never been a problem; so many times I just sketch something on paper, cut it out and stitch it into existence. But taking my fudged-together paper bits and taking them through the transformative design process has long proved to be a stumbling block.

But this time I was determined to push through the pain barrier and work it through to completion. And I did. It took my entire weekend to tweak the pattern, produce the sample (thereby testing my own instructions), tweak the pattern again, take a thousand dodgy photographs, and finally get to the point where I thought it was done.

And then we come to opening an Etsy Store ...


There is no such thing as just-opening-an-Etsy-Store. Fair dinkum, it felt like writing a job application for a position for which I was ill-qualified! I confess to being quite the novice, and not exactly possessing a head for business, it became a long, drawn-out, and tiresome exercise. But I was as diligent as I could possibly be, and I now have my shop up and functioning, complete with polite little policies, a few pretty pictures, and a PDF pattern!



It is hopefully the first of many. A meagre offering perhaps, but it does feel so very good to have put a drop in my bucket of dreams. I have two more little Christmas projects nearing completion, and the patterns are already a good way through the design process. At the moment I'm just having fun and enjoying the satisfaction of making sweet little things.

Wish me well my friends!

Evie xxx

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, Evie. It's a lovely looking Santa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lorelle, it's just something little, but you have to start somewhere! We should have a cuppa sometime in the holidays. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, congratulations on opening your store! And I love your Santa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie! I always love it when you pop in to say hello. It has been such a thrill to finally put my shingle out. Haven't sold anything yet, but Etsy is such a big place! You are doing marvellous things with your WWI knitting project over on Knitso - wish I could participate, but I am trying to be realistic about my time and my skill level. Wishing you well from afar. :)

      Delete

If you would like to leave me a comment, (just a line or two will do), then I will get back to you, and that would be like having a bit of a chat (and that's always nice). :)